JOI Amazer GL7000RM6600 (MRSP)
- Balance of performance, mobility and price (with 11.11 discount)
- Good fit, finish and solid build
- Per-Key RGB 4th-Gen Opto-Mech keyboard with Project Aurora support
- Thunderbolt 3
- Good battery life (93Wh)
- Customizable options in BIOS
- 115W-boost capable 90W 2070MQ
- Continual software/driver support (from Eluktronics/XMG/Intel)
- Good thermal management
- Battery charge limiter (Flexi-charge)
- 9th-Gen i7 with no upgrade option
- Relatively loud full load fans (no adjustable curves)
- 75c GPU thermal cap (can be overridden with tweaks)
- Average built-in speakers
- Screen locked at 144Hz
- Picky with TB3 docks/display adapters
- Huge AC adapter (FSP 230W)
- Very limited support from JOI
Does the Amazer have any local competition then, especially around the price range I got it at (below 5k MYR / 1.22K USD).
The only real one the Amazer has at around that range is the “New” Illegear Onyx (ironically a QC7 variant with a i7-9750H/2060), but the Onyx does end up being slightly pricier when configured similarly (with a “refreshed” 2060, however). It also comes with a logo on the lid and a longer 2-year warranty (the Amazer only has 1 year).
Next on the line we have the slightly cheaper (but better performing) Lenovo Legion 5 with Ryzen 7 and a 2060 GPU. It’s plasticky and a lot larger; but that Ryzen does outperform the Intel i7-9750H (or even the i7-10875H for that matter). Unfortunately, it does come with less system customisation options, no TB3 and a 8 week (average) wait for shipping (as of Nov 2020).
Similarly the Ryzen 7/2060 powered Illegear Onyx V Ryzen, though this one is slightly pricier instead (like the New Illegear Onyx). It also comes with a smaller battery than the Amazer, a Legion-esque plastic chassis and a similarly long wait time.
Finally, there’s the 2020 MSI GF65 (i7-9750H/2060), which mixes a bit of all three. Specced (and priced) similarly to the New Illegear Onyx, it has more similarities in size and build with the Lenovo Legion 5 and the Illegear Onyx V Ryzen. It also runs a bit hotter than the Amazer or the New Onyx.